UK Settlement Visa accommodation requirement

You must have suitable accommodation arranged that is not overcrowded as defined by the Housing Act of 1985.

If you own your own property and your property is registered with HM Land Registry (check here) get an official copy of the title register from HM Land Registry. Fill in form OC1 and send it to HM Land Registry. If your property is not registered with HM Land Registry you will need the property deeds or a recent original letter from your mortgage provider. If your property is mortgaged you could also include any other mortgage correspondence or statements.

If you rent a property you will require a letter from your landlord or letting agent and your rental agreement.

If you are in shared accommodation you will need a letter from the owner stating that you may stay in the property along with details of the rooms and other residents. You will also need to prove that the owner owns the property by providing an official copy of the title register from HM Land Registry or the property deeds or a letter from the mortgage provider. Mortgage correspondence or statements will also help prove ownership.

The guide to supporting documents suggests you may wish to submit a property inspection report. If you have children or are in shared accommodation it would be a good idea to provide an inspection report by the local council or a chartered surveyor to prove the property will not be overcrowded.

The guide also suggests you may want to include council tax statements or utility bills.


A house is considered to be overcrowded if 2 persons aged 10 years or more of opposite sexes, who are not living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room. The rules also detail the maximum number of people allowed for a given number of rooms or a given room floor area.

Account is taken only of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 square feet and rooms of a type used either as a living room or bedroom. Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are excluded.

The number of people sleeping in accommodation must not exceed the following:

Number of rooms Maximum number of people allowed
1 2
2 3
3 5
4 7.5
5 10
Each additional room in excess of 5 An additional 2 people

A child under 1 does not count as a person.
A child aged 1-10 years counts as only half a person.

For further information see Maintenance and accommodation (MAA) and Part 8: Annex F Adequate Maintenance & Accommodation.

Next step Document Checklist